It is a quiet night in Sweet Haven. We had a short power outage - maybe 20 minutes earlier, but aside from that it has been a quiet Sunday.
Last week was Stake Conference, and our Bishop was called to be the new Stake President. So the ward is going through a little transition. We are going to miss our bishop - he is a good man and very kind. I'm sure he will lead the Stake well, but it was always kind of fun to have him in a meeting. He could bring both spirituality and wry humor to a meeting and it was a pretty good combination.
Last Monday Andrew and Caren and the kids came down and spent the day with us. We had a good visit, and I think the kids had a good time. We had tater tots, chicken nuggets, and pizza and the kids seemed to be happy with that menu. Annie and I have our normal everyday favorites but they would be boring for the kids I think. We had to think a little bit about what kids like to eat. It was not a real warm day, but they played on the swings for quite a while, and Seth got pretty good casting with an old fishing rod - no hooks. It was a good day with not a lot of schedule. We just visited and played.
Last night I finished my mainsail. All the sewing is done, both machine and hand stitching. The reef points are installed, the grommets are installed and it is ready to be bent (tied onto the gaff, boom and mast). This whole project has been in the works off and on for about four years. Two of those years were spent with me looking wide and wild eyed at all the sailcloth and then finding something else to do. Anything else to do. This stuff is hard to work with if you don't know how to handle it. You can't stick a pin in it - it is too stiff. The way the cloth is made is by rolling a very finely woven, resin covered dacron cloth between two heated rollers at about 50,000 psi. This melts and smashed the resin into the cloth fibers and pretty much eliminates a bias sag.
After a couple of years of piddling around the edges I found some video clips from Sailrite on YouTube and was able actually to see how they handled the cloth. They don't pin it together at all, they tape it together. Buying the double sticky tape, and a cheap sewing machine from WalMart kind of got the ball rolling. Then I just had to learn how to sew. Fortunately, I am married to an amazingly talented seamstress who is a pretty patient teacher as well. But a lot of things that work on quilts and clothing don't work as well on sails, and I still had somethings to learn the hard way. But such is life. Anyway, the mainsail is done, and the mizzen sail is done but for the grommets. So I should be ready for Lake Powell by September.
I guess that is about all. It has been snowy and cold, and so my hopes for getting the early garden in early have been in vain. The Spring Outage is around the corner, and that will keep me out of trouble until the first part of May. Then two concerts, a concert trip to D.C., a Messabout at Starvation Reservoir, a 90th birthday party, the Crash Up Derby, Pioneer Day, One Camping Trip, Labor Day, the Gala, the Lake Powell Messabout, trip to Mike's (maybe), Thanksgiving, Christmas Concert, Christmas, New Years, .....and it all starts again. I didn't even mention putting in a garden, finishing the fences, fixing the roof, putting up the new antenna, cleaning the shop,..... there truly is no rest for the wicked, and no time to repent.
I hope you all have a great night, sleep well and wake.