Monday, February 7, 2011

Early February Update

It was a quiet week in Sweet Haven.....that is what I think I will be calling our little town in the future.  After reading the headlines and watching the new, it does seem like a quiet little haven.

It has been pretty quiet here, and pretty cold too.  The cold isn't so unique as I know that it is cold over most of the West and Mid-West.  Well, it is February so I guess it isn't too surprising.  Still, zero degree temperatures mixed with even a light but steady wind makes for a pretty cold winter camp.  I was kind of getting in the mood for an early spring, and getting in an early garden, but I don't know if that will happen or not.

Annie and I have been staying indoors quite a bit.  She has been sewing on quilts and I've been sewing on my mainsail.  It makes for a cozy and companionable day - fire in the fireplace, book-on-tape playing and a little conversation when we have something to say.  It goes well with chicken-noodle soup and whole wheat bread.

The sail is almost done.  I'm just putting in the reef points now.  It's very tempting to not put them in as they are little reinforced squares of fabric sewn in lines in the middle of the sail.  I'll put grommets through their center, and when the wind gets too frisky, the reef points become the new bottom of the sail and are tied to the boom, effectively making the sail much smaller.  It is tempting to leave them off because I'm tired of wrestling with the sail and want to have it done, but I've never seriously considered leaving them off.  In fact, I'm sewing in two rows of them.  I actually should start the mizzen sail.  It will be much smaller, and won't have the pesky reef points.... we will see.  

At work the Spring Outage is getting closer in a hurry.  Usually we have four week outages, but this one will be six weeks long, and run from March 12 to April 21.  It might be kind of a strange long outage as this will be the second outage in this fiscal year - everyone is worried they might go over the budget, and weirdly, that is more important than fixing things.  So be it.

I'm in Week 10 of P90X - the exercise program that a few of us are doing at work.  I'm getting stronger, but not lighter, at least so far.  Tony Horton, the creator of the program uses 'muscle confusion' workouts - a different set of muscles each day.  Which pretty much guarantees that a different part of you will hurt tomorrow.  There is a lot of core body work, and flexibility work built into the routines as well.  So, we will see.  I'm very tired each night, and not too feisty.  A friend at work has been using this program for the last three years and has not had an exercise related injury in that time.  This is a pretty important feature as injuries effectively kill exercise program momentum.

 ************

It's Monday night, and it sounds like a big storm is blowing in.  If the storm is as big as the wind, well, we will need snowshoes.  I'm guessing we might get an inch or two of snow.  We had a nice Saturday, making a quick trip to SLC to celebrate Thomas' 1st birthday.  We had a yummy dinner that Jeff and Megan prepared and then played some fun games.  Janet got home from a month in Denver about the time it was time for us to go, so we got hugs all around and made a quick stop at Becky's for a little sewing discussion, and then headed down for a quick stop at Andrew and Caren's.

It was good to see everyone, even though some of the visits were brief.  Sunday wasn't a day of rest, but it was OK.  Today was a quick run to the dump, running a few errands, some sewing for both of us, and a short nap for me in the afternoon.  Subway for supper, and chicken soup cooking for tomorrows lunch.  A quiet day, and we got to spend it together.  That's the best part.  Hope you all have a good week.  Sleep well, and wake.

3 comments:

Mike said...

Sweet Haven...I like that! Thanks for the updates. It will be fun to see you in a couple of weeks.

You rock for doing P90X for 10 weeks. I did the 12 week version last year and noticed a difference in strength and energy levels. With 12 weeks of that I was able to launch into my 1st 5K on the treadmill. Granted it was at sea level on a business trip, but it was a big change.

Annie of Blue Gables said...

Any time and any place is a sweet haven with you, my Friend.
~a

Annie of Blue Gables said...

PS Love the new look on your blog.