Saturday, April 3, 2010

A Cool April Day Update snd the Saga of the Sail

It's pretty cool here today, with a nippy North wind motivating me to stay inside and listen to General Conference. Yesterday was also cool, and I stayed in and worked on the sail that I am sewing.

It is a pretty big sail, and I have had it cut out for at least four years and just didn't know where to go. It is so big, and sail cloth is really slick and hard and not really easy to work with. It is so stiff that you can't hardly put a pin in it. That is what I tried to do initially and it didn't work so well.

Probably it was last fall that I had gone up with Annie to Choir and was wandering around WalMart and looked at the sewing machines. I was about to give up on the whole project and just buy the sails at about $600 for the big one and $250 for the little one, when I saw a cheapy 'Brother' machine for about $80. I thought "....Hmmmm......you would pay $80 for a saw or other tool that you need.....why should a sewing machine be any different." So I bought it, and it has been very helpful.

YouTube has also been helpful. I have a really good book on sail making, but it sort of wants to make you into an Old World sail maker with a small shop near the docks in Naples or Venice. They show how to make sails for guys that are going on a trans-Pacific voyage. The YouTube clips showed me that instead of pins, they use a double sticky tape to stick things together. So in a week I had my tape from Sailrite, and have been plugging away ever since.

Right now the sail panels are double-sewn together, and I have 3 out of the 4 corner reinforcing panels sewn in. Next come the edge seams and the the d-rings.

Here is a little clip from YouTube that you might like. I was looking for how-to-shoot-a-slingshot kind of clip, and never found exactly what I was looking for, but did find some interesting things. This one was a lot of fun. Rufus is 65 year old guy that grew up in a large and poor family and turned out to be an amazing slingshot shooter. I liked this story, and hope you have fun with it too. Have a nice day. I'll be sewing today I think.


1 comment:

Annie of Blue Gables said...

I'm so impressed with your sewing, I might have to post a picture of you making your sail. :D
love you
~a