Monday, July 20, 2009

Just a Day Off

Tomorrow is Monday.... well, for me it is. My schedule flipped and I am working Tues-Friday until October. But that is fine with me. I don't mind at all going to be on Sunday, and knowing that it will be a day out of the cube.

Delta is such a little town. Or maybe it is just the right size. Or maybe we have adapted to it's size. We slept in a little and had to run a couple of errands, so we hopped on our trusty and robust old econo-mountain bikes and rode two blocks to the hardware store to pick up some bug powder. When we wheeled into the back of Ace, who should me meet- leaving on a mountain bike, but our good friend Nathan. Meeting Nathan is always a bright spot in the day, and we had a nice little talk about children, life, bikes, and Delta. Nathan used to be in our ward, and our last boy was the same age as their first boy. But then they moved across the event horizon of the space-time continuum - into the other Stake, and we don't see them more than once or twice a year. I know - in DELTA!

Then a quick run to the drug store for some HPBP medicine, then back home to irrigate. Yes, it is flood day every other Monday. The water was late today, so I went over to Harding's and pulled weeds for a while with Ernie and his friend. They work for Harding doing odd jobs so when he came outside, I quit working and leaned on my hoe and visited a little. Actually, I listened more than visited as Harding is 88 and has a lot of memories. His eyes are about gone now, and that is a great frustration to him, but his mind is clear, and his mind's eye is 20/20.

Today he told me about when he was a young man and in the National Guard at the U of U. We were talking about horses, and he said that he had riding pants as part of his uniform, and that they would also harness up the teams and pull the cassions around as part of their drills. He told me about when he lived on Redwood Road, and it was dirt. How it was a big day if a car went by, and that they were way out in the country. He has a lot of stories, and I find them pretty interesting. I have heard quite a few of them more than several times, but you keep listening and every now an then a new wrinkle, a new story pops up and it gives you a whole new perspective on how the world was. The scary part is when I find myself starting a story with: "This happened... let's see....40, now I was pretty little yet - maybe 50 years ago....." Scary, scary, scary.

The water was late, and it finally came. I made my excuses and came home to clear the little twig jams, and re-dig the ditches where they had filled up when I hoed the row. We got a lot of water, and the back yard is just soaked. Tonight we had chard, broccoli, and zucchini from the garden, and grilled some pork chops. A great dinner.

After the flood, and before dinner, I decided that I had better cut some wood. I had two really big limb sections that were both about 7 feet long, and about 3 feet in diameter. So I fired up the chain saw, and cut them into sections about 12-14 inches long. Yes that was lot of cuts, and a lot of work. Our stove doesn't like big chunks, or long chunks, so I have to cut it up fairly small. The good thing about that is that you have to cut it up fairly small. The temptation is to cut them into fireplace sized chunks 18 inches or so. The cutting is easier, but the splitting is horrible. All of these limbs had the beginning of two or three major branches in them, and they will be hard enough to split even when short. But long... that would be hard.

Well, it is time for bed. No great insights tonight. No pictures, no videos. This is just a short summation of a day at home. These are my best days. My Best Friend is home, and we work together, or work apart and come together to admire the progress or to give each other a drink or a treat. Life is so good with Annie.

Sleep well, and wake.

4 comments:

Annie of Blue Gables said...

Very sweet post, my Friend. You are the best. I was amazed at what strength it took to cut those huge pieces of wood. You are such a hard worker.
It is a blessing to get to be a part of your days off.
love you,
~a

Boo said...

Sounds like a nice day! We miss you dad.

Andrew said...

It does sound like a nice day. I wish I could have put my garden in a little earlier—we have a few cherry tomatoes, but nothing else!

Mike said...

Sounds like a great day. Thanks for sharing!