Monday, March 16, 2009

Down the River They Went

Playing with Google Earth can open up a world of possibilities....pardon the pun. I traced out the path that the Walls, and maybe some of the other German families took to reach Southern Russia. It is about 1700 miles as the boat drifts, and so it is a longer trip than I had realized.

Here is a post that I did some time ago that has a little more history, and a link to the boats that they floated in.

Also, I think I found Alexanderdorf (Starcks), Hoffnungstal (Walls) and two possibilities for Norka (Hahns). Hoffnungstall is probably where it was originally. I'm not so sure of Norka, Norka 2 (Nork, Armenia) or Alexanderdorf. I used German geneology sites to locate Norka 1 and Alexanderdorf, but Dad always told stories about the Germans and the Turks.... and Norka 2 is pretty close to Turkey.

I'll do more investigation later, but I thought some of you would be interested in the length and scale of the float trip that so many of them went on. Andrew and I did a little float down the Sevier River a few years ago and it about killed us. Pansies that we are.


































Well, there you have it. I don't know how interested anyone is in seeing the route that they took, but it sort of gives you a little idea of the trip.

3 comments:

AnnieOfBlueGables said...

I'm so glad you mapped this. It is amazing. It was fun to see that castle on the river when were in Austria and think they might have seen that as they passed by.
~a

Andrew said...

That's a crazy-long boat trip. WAAAAY longer than our float—and they likely didn't have prepackaged snacks to munch on.

Mike said...

Very interesting. It makes me want to take a trip over there, and see if we can hunt down any long lost relatives. It would also be interesting to do the same in Brazil