Sunday, August 3, 2008

Once Upon a Midnight Dreary

With apologies to Edgar Allan Poe.

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore (code),
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my office door.
`'Tis some visitor,' I muttered, `tapping at my office door -
Only this, and nothing more.'

OK, well, there is only so much I can do with this poem, but it is a midnight dreary, and I am fairly weak and weary. We have a tube leak in Unit 1, and that doesn't rhyme with anything that I can think of at this hour.

Yesterday we went to a wonderful wedding in Salt Lake City. The son of some dear friends was getting married. He is S1's age, and the oldest of their children, and the last to marry. So it was a happy day. She is Russian, and a really cute girl. She is an only child, and her mom is a single mom.... so that is kind of a hard thing. They had a great turnout, and they invited a lot of people from the LDS Russian Branch in SLC. A great time was had by all.

We got to see S1 for quite a bit of the day as he was the best man. After the reception, we took him over to D1's home to stay the night and visit. D1 and SIL have only been in this house since Wednesday night, but they are pretty much unpacked, have changed bathroom door knobs, hung a new cabinet, mounted a flat screen TV and wired up the sound system..... not too shabby.
When we got home, it was bout 2:30. I saw that the answering machine had a message, but since they are almost always for Annie, and since I almost always bungle the message, and since it was 2:30 am and I would be sure to screw it up, I just let it go. But it was my boss calling to tell me that we had a leak. Annie checked it in the morning, and so I am covering Sunday night.

That's OK. It is about 1:00 am right now. The tube has been replaced, but they had to cut out a beam to get room to fix the tube. So now one guy is rewelding the beam, and another guy is fixing dings, thin spots and the webbing between the tubes. These tubes are 2-1/2" in diameter with a wall thickness of about 0.270 inches - they are pretty stout. Something fell down onto these tubes and bent about 6 of them by about 2-1/2". And they are welded together too. I can't quite imagine it. It had to be a piece of slag falling from about 200' that was as hard as a rock and had abou the same energy as a truck at 30 mph. Not exactly an asteroid that will make us all extinct, but a pretty good wallop.

The actual failure was due to ash erosion of the tube wall. You can see the big flap that opened up.








On the lower picture you can see that the tubes were bent about 2-1/2" from straight.


1 comment:

AnnieOfBlueGables said...

Zatara,
It was a wonderful wedding, wasn't it?
You are my hero, going out every day and working. Even doing night shift, and you always have such a sweet attitude. You are the best, and I am proud to say, my best friend. Thanks.
~a