Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Garden Warfare

I was reading about companion plantings the other day and was reminded again yesterday about the grim warfare that plants practice in a quiet way when I was trimming up some baby plum trees that were leaning away from some of the obnoxious berry plants. It was interesting to realize that these plants were locked in a deadly competition for light, water, and space, and that they are using chemical weapons to gain the upper hand.

This quiet, serious and even desperate conflict was brought to mind as I was reading about all the shennanigans that central banks use in the background to gain the upper hand economically against competing countries. Kind of like the plums and the berry bushes, there is a real fight going on, but you have to look close to see it. It is really quite involved and convoluted, and I don't pretend to understand the whole of it. You might find this article interesting.

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Global_Economy/IE09Dj01.html

Asia Times reports on mostly economic issues and lets you see the world a little more like the Chinese, Japanese or Indians see things. Henry Liu is very thorough in this article, but it isn't easy reading. There are links to all five parts. My eyes are watering after reading them all. 'My eyes, My eyes!!!!" As Phoebe would say.

No comments: