Sunday, May 20, 2007

Armed Forces Day Concert

Saturday we were able to come to SLC and spend a few minutes with the Nurse, the Rooster and the Little Stinker.... and really that should be changed to the Little Charmer. Happy Birthday little guy. Very much fun. Pixie came by with her good husband who I just can hardly refer to as the Toad.... come on people, lets remove the perjoratives! Fun to see everyone, but too short of a visit as we had to hurry off to the CASU Armed Forces Day Concert.

Being from a family that has a lot more history in pacifism than militarism, it is not my impulse to honor the military. But I have come to have a lot of respect for the sacrifices that have been made in behalf of this country, and that I have benefited from. George Orwell once said that
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
[info][add][mail]
George Orwell
Hmmm.... I certainly enjoy the quiet, safe little town that I live in, and sadly, I think that this is a pretty good point. We live in a telestial world, and generally might prevails in the contests of the world. I would love to think that 'world peace' is just around the corner, but I think that Miss Congeniality and her friends are going to be disappointed.

So I am thankful for the sacrifices that are made by honorable men and women. This day wasn't about this war, or any war. Not about politics or our current leaders, our past leaders, or leaders at all. It was about the guys and girls that put on the uniform every day to do their job. Some of them come back damaged and broken, some don't come back at all. They know each day what can happen to them. And still they do their duty.

2 comments:

AnnieOfBlueGables said...

I too am a pacifist, but as we sang the Armed Forces Salute (which is a medley of the official songs of each branch of the Armed forces) and as the various men and women and families stood as we sang the song from their branch, something caught in my throat. I thought of my dad in the Air Force, of the Sailor's dad who served in the Navy, tears formed in my eyes, and I could no longer find my voice, and I had to just whispered the words.
It felt so sweet to sing patriotic songs with a Military Band playing along, and fireworks at the end. It felt better than the 4th of July for me.

pixiestylist said...

see, i have always had a soft spot for the military, as far as i can remember. it is because annie's and sailor's dads who served that i do.